Okay, I’ve written tons of article about health but never wrote about the concept of health. In this article we could learn about the basic knowledge of health.
What is Health? World Health Organisation’s Constituation define Health as ‘a state of complete physical, social and mental well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.
Thus health “is a positive concept emphasising social and personal resources as well as physical capabilities“.
A healthy person therefore needs to maintain healthy habits such as taking regular exercises and adequate rest, adopting a high level of personal hygiene, eating a nutritionally balanced diet, abstaining from the abuse of drugs and alcohol, taking care of one’s mental well-being and developing social skills to interact in a positive manner within society.
To be healthy is to be in a state of homeostasis(balance) with one’s surroundings. To avail oneself to the advances of medical treatments and preventive measures such as immunizations further booster one’s health.
To achieve a healthy society, remember that a healthy person has a duty to the health of his fellow beings, his surroundings and the environment he lives in.
Health can be influenced by many factors:
A) Inherent Factors
– Elderly persons and the very young are more prone to be more severely affected when sick as a result of their reduced immunity.
– Certain ethnic groups are more at risk of developing some illnesses probably as a result of their genetic make up, the environment they live in or the rituals they practice.
– In families with a history of disease could be inherited.
B) Outside Factors
– The alluent suffer from diseases of plenty. A diet high in fat is thought to be contributory to breast cancer.
– Occupation may be associated with certain diseases.
– Education helps to inform and guide choices. Choosing a healthy lifestyle helps prevent diseases.
– Both over and under-nutrition are unhealthy for the body.
That’s some simple description of Health from CUKH.edu.HK. You can share more about health at the comment below.