Okay, I’m not US citizen and never land on US but I’ve found this ‘Medicare’ become trending at Yahoo.com. Eventhough, this is not benefit me I’m really interested to know about the term.
From wikipedia, the definition of Medicare shown that it is a social insurance program that being administrated by US federal government that guarantees access to health insurance for Americans ages 65 and older. It also include younger people with disabilities.
The Medicare program spreads the financial risk associated with illness across society to protect everyone (for US citizen only) that is different social role from private insurers that must manage their risk portfolio to guarantee their own solvency.
There’s 4 different parts of Medicare
1. Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)
– It helps cover inpatient care in hospitals
– Helps cover skilled nursing facility, hospice and home healthcare
2. Medicare Part B ( Medical Insurance)
– Helps cover doctor’s and other health care provider’s services, outpatient care, durable medical equipment and home health care
– Helps cover some preventive services to help maintain your health and to keep certain illnesses from getting worse
3. Medicare Part C (also known as Medicare Advantage )
– Offers health plan options run by Medicare-approved private insurance companies
– Medicare Advantage Plans are a way to get the benefits and services covered under Part A and Part B
– Most Medicare Advantage Plans cover Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D)
– Some Medicare Advantage Plans may include extra benefits for an extra cost
4. Medicare Part D (Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage)
– Helps cover the cost of prescription drugs
– May help lower your presciption drug costs and help protect against higher costs in the future
– Run by Medicare-approved private insurance companies
Reference :- Medicare website
Okay, I can’t comment much about the program coz I’m not in program(as I’ve said before) but maybe some of the program look good. I’ve also found that other’s country such as Australia and Canada also have their own Medicare. Hopefully my country will make the program similar like this but give more benefit to poor people that can’t afford to pay for healthy services or health insurance.