What is Pedometer
Do you know about pedometer? Pedometer is a device usually portable and electronic or electromechanical that counts each step a person takes by detecting the motion of the person’s hip. An informal calibration performed by person required if the distance covered in a unit of length is desired, though there are now pedometers that use electronics and software to automatically determine how a person’s step varies.
Pedometer can record how many steps the wearer has walked and thus the distance. Some of the pedometers also record movements other than walking such as bending to tie one’s shoes or road bumps incurred while riding a vehicle. Step counters can give encouragement to compete with oneself in getting fit and losing weight. The recommend benchmark for an active lifestyle is 10,000 steps per day equivalent to 8 kilometers. (Wikipedia)
It is use battery powered and come with a variety of options and price ranges.
There are 3 type of common pedometer
1. Multi function Pedomter – It count a coiled spring mechanism, piezo-electric accelerometes and hairspring mechanism. The top features are calorie estimates, timers, clocks, stopwatches and speed estimators.
2. Simple Step Counting Pedometers – It is simple and only count step and display it.
3. Pedometer Accuracy – Uses turned pendulum technology, accelerometers and/pr electronics to count steps.
Healthy adults should aim for 10,000 – 12,500 steps per day to be considered active. It is to ensure your health in good condition and using pedometer we can keep on track about it..
Tips For Using A Pedometer
- You will have to understand how a pedometer works. A simple pedometer will just record the number of steps you have taken depending on your body movement. A tiny apparatus is fitted inside the pedometer, which moves each time your hip is moved for taking a step. With each step taken, the pedometer turns over. The digital and more hi-tech models of the pedometer track the distance covered, and also display the calories burned in the process. However, certain trials have also shown that the electronic calorie-burn information is inaccurate.
- A pedometer is used to start a daily walking routine. On an average, it takes 2000 steps to complete a mile. Going by the readings of your pedometer, designate yourself a certain distance to walk. The walking path can be the pavement or a track around the neighborhood. You will need the pedometer only once to measure the path. For instance, in the future, you will know that 3 rounds around the pavement equals to a given number of steps for you.
- The pedometer has to work as a motivational tool for you, which keeps you following your walking routine every day. It will encourage you to compete with yourself and try to increase your targeted distance as time progresses. You can increase your goal each week, until you reach the desired miles, required to keep you in shape.
- Remember that the actual number of calories you burn everyday based on the readings of the pedometer will vary, as your walking speed is different everyday. In case you have a steady speed, you can also walk that distance on a treadmill just once to calculate the calories you have burnt. You can apply the same reading to your daily walks and analyze the results for yourself.
- You can choose to wear your pedometer wherever you go, even when you are not talking your exercise walks. You will be surprised to know how many steps you walk in an entire day and can accordingly determine whether you need to add one more round to you daily walk. In case you are already having enough workout during a typical day, you can also bring down the miles covered in the daily walks.
Video : Tips to Buy Pedometer
Buy Pedometer From Amazon