Cholesterol Control

Cholesterol is a fat-like substance, which is soft and waxy in the bloodstream and in all cells of your body. Cholesterol is an important part of a healthy body because it is used to produce cell membranes and some hormones, and serves the functions of the body. Too much cholesterol in the blood is a major risk for coronary heart disease (which can lead to heart attack) and stroke.

What is Cholesterol?


Cholesterol come from two sources: your body and the food. Your liver and other cells in your body produces 75 percent of blood cholesterol. The remaining 25 percent comes from the foods you eat.

LDL cholesterol is harmful cholesterol. If it is too much cycling in the blood, it can clog arteries, increasing your risk for heart attack and stroke. LDL cholesterol is produced naturally by the body, but many people inherit genes that cause them to produce too much. Eating saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol also increase the amount of food available to you.

Recommendations from the Experts

It is important for everyone to know their cholesterol levels. Total blood cholesterol is the most common measure of blood cholesterol. It is the amount you get from the test results. Cholesterol is measured in milligrams per desiliter blood (mg / dL). Cholesterol levels of 200 mg / dL or more to put yourself in the category of high risk and a cause for you to act.

How To Lower Cholesterol

The good news is, you can lower your cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. Whether you have been given prescription medication or advised to make changes in diet and lifestyle to help lower your cholesterol, follow your doctor’s recommendations well. To keep your cholesterol under control you should: make a schedule for testing cholesterol, eat foods low in cholesterol and saturated fat and free of trans fats, maintain a healthy weight, and keep physically active.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Say No to Obesity | Your Health Blog Info

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.