The dental implants are the tiny titanium posts that when placed in the jaw provide support to a range of dental prostheses. The implants have become increasingly popular in the recent times because of their outstanding durability and their life-like appearance.
If you have lost one or more of your teeth, you are already aware how you can be affected by this condition. Not only your oral health, but even your overall health can be affected by missing teeth.
Surrounding teeth and bone atrophy, shifting are some of the oral issues that the missing teeth can cause which can lead to other health problems. To prevent that, the dental implants are almost imperative.
Implants have become very popular in the recent years because of their life-like appearance and outstanding durability. But like any other surgical procedures, this one, too, has its own amount of risks. But that should not hold you back from enjoying the immense perks of the same.
Here is a discourse on dental implant surgery, precisely its purpose, benefits and risks. Have a look.
Purpose and Prerequisites of Dental Implants
The dental implants when surgically placed in the jawbone serve as the roots of the missing teeth. As the titanium in the implants fuse with the jawbone, the implants do not make noise, slip or cause any type of bone damage in the way the bridgework or dentures do.
The dental implants can be right for you if you:
- Have a jawbone that is fully developed
- Have lost one or more teeth
- Have healthy oral tissues
- Have healthy oral tissues
- Are unwilling or unable to wear dentures
- Don’t have health conditions that will affect the healing of bones
- Are willing to commit some months to the process
- Want to improve your speech
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are a number of benefits that the dental implants endow upon you. Some of the them are enlisted below.
- Improved Speech -The poor-fitted dentures can make the teeth to slip within the mouth causing you to slur or mumble your words. The dental implants help you speak without any risk of your teeth slipping.
- Enhanced Appearance – Dental implants look and feel like your original teeth and they are designed to fuse with the bone. And as they are designed to fuse with the bone, they become permanent.
- Easier Eating – The dental implants, unlike the sliding dentures function like your own teeth helping you to eat your favourite dishes with confidence.
- Improved Comfort – Implants are very comfortable as they become part of you.
- Improved Oral Health – Implants do not require reducing the original teeth for supporting the bridges. As the nearby teeth are not changed for supporting the implant, most of your own teeth are retained which enable stronger oral health in the long run.
- Enhanced Self-esteem – You can get back your smile with oral implants which boosts up your confidence to a great extent.
- Great Durability and Convenience – Implants last many years and are very durable. If you take care, many implants last a lifetime. These are also very convenient as you don’t have to remove them like the removable dentures and you also do not need to deal with the messy adhesives.
Risks of Dental Implants
There are some health risks associated with dental implants just like with any other surgery. The problems are rare and when they occur, they are very easily treatable. The complications relating to the dental implants include the following –
- Infection at the surgical site
- Damage or injury to the surrounding teeth, nerves, blood vessels and jaw
- Rejection of implant
- Problems of sinus that happen when the implants are not placed in the right way in the upper jaw
How to Avoid Such Complications and Treatments
These implants usually involve very low risks and very rarely any of the above complications occurs and if you, by any chance, develop one such issue, it is easily treatable and your dentist can enlighten you further regarding the same. You can further reduce the chances of these by appointing an experienced and reputed oral surgeon for your implant surgery. By properly preparing the site of treatment and appropriately placing the implants that you can get at the best dental implant cost from a renowned dental clinic near you, your dentist also minimises trauma to the area and eases the period of recovery.