How many times you check your glucose (sugar) in the blood? It is very important to know your glucose level because it can help you to control of diabetes.
The normal glucose level is from 4 to 8 mmol/l. The level will show higher after meals. Blood sugar levels must be control because the higher level means more risk to get diabetes complications such as eye, nerve, kidney and cardiovascular disease. The stable blood sugar will reduce from these complications.
The blood glucose tests are important to check if you get diabetes or not. It is useful to monitor treatment of diabetes. Not just for high level, the blood glucose test can determine low blood sugar level.
How to check blood sugar level
Do you want to know about your blood sugar level? This is the guidelines to check your blood sugar level.
1. The easiest is check at your nearer clinic.
2. Get the glucose levels testing kit at pharmacy. Put a small amount of your blood at the strip kits. Place the strip in the device and your glucose level will be display within 30 seconds.
3. Before checking, do not eat or drink anything other than water for at least 8 hours.
The ideals glucose level is 4 to 7 mmol/l before you take meal, around 8 mmol/l at bedtime or less than 10mmol/l 70 minutes after a meal.
How to Prepare for Blood Test
The test may be done in 2 ways
– At any time of the day
– After you not eat anything for at least 8 hours
How the Test Will Feel
The practitioner will insert needle to draw blood. Some people will feel moderate pain while others feel only a prick or stinging sensation.
Risk of blood test
There’s risk associated with having blood drawn include :-
– Fainting or feeling light-headed
– Infection ( a slight risk any time the skin is broken)
– Excessive bleeding
– Hematoma (blood accumulating under the skin)
Reference : Medline Plus
Always use a log/diary and write down the result. Using this analysis you can manage your diet. Always get advice from doctor or diabetes educator. Don’t get stress if you have bad result but change your lifestyle for better health.