Have you heard about psoriasis ? Maybe some of us not really familiar about this disease but it just become known after popular singer, Lee Ann Rimes announced that she suffered with psoriasis.
What is Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a non-contagious disease that related to joints and skin. The skin will appear in scaly patches and cause red. It is occurs on pressure points such as the elbows, knees, and knuckles, as well as on the scalp, the trunk, the arms and legs, the external sex organs, and the fingernails and toenails. Although it is just a minor irritation for some people, the condition can have a significant impact on your life.t affects males and females equally. Psoriasis can occur at any age, although there seem to be two ‘peaks’; from the late teens to early thirties, and between the ages of around 50 and 60.
Some people with psoriasis may also get psoriatic arthritis- a type of arthritis associated with the skin condition. However, just having psoriasis doesn’t mean you will get psoriatic arthritis, and not everybody who goes on to develop psoriatic arthritis necessarily has psoriasis of the skin, either.
Type of Psoriasis :-
The most common form, plaque , appears as raised, red patches covered with a silvery white buildup of dead skin cells. It can occur on any part of the body and is associated with other serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.
The major symptom of psoriasis is :-
1. Skin scales are picked or scraped off.
2. Suffer itching during sudden flare-ups.
3. Nail disorders especially in severe psoriasis.
There are causes of psoriasis
1. Genetic disorder. There are possibility that children will inherent from their parent.
2. Trauma or hurt on skin like bruises, burns or cuts.
3. Some medicine can initiate psoriasis.
4. Psychological trauma or mental stress.
5. Smoking and drinking alcohol
There are some psoriasis treatment includes :-
1. A topical ointment which is related to Vitamin D. It is effective for treating limited amounts to avoid side effects.
2. Use steroid-based creams but careful to follow your doctor’s instructions. The method used oral and injected medications that work throughout the entire body
3. Use phototherapy method because it can exposed to certain types of light.