What is anaemia?
It is a condition in which the mature red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body tissues decreases. This function is carried out by a protein called hemoglobin. Anemia usually means not enough hemoglobin. Normal Haemoglobin level is between 11.5 to 16.5g/dL for women and 12.5 to 18.5g/dL for men.
Causes of anemia
- Blood loss (whether acute or chronic)
- Acute blood loss may be seen on a road accident or after surgery. Blood loss of more than 500ml usually require blood fiber.
- Chronic blood loss occurs during excessive menstruation, worm infestation and other conditions.
- The formation of red blood cells is not sufficient from the bone marrow.
Anaemia may be caused by:
- The lack of essential factors like iron, and vitamin B12, folate and erythropoietin.
- Rapid expansion of the youth, resulting in increased demand for iron which is above the level of iron absorption.
- Menstrual cycle in women with a loss estimated 30mg of iron each month causes of iron deficiency.
- Toxic factors: inflammatory disease, liver and kidney failure, medications.
- Hormone deficiency: low levels of thyroid hormones.
- Attacks the bone marrow: blood cancers, bone marrow disease.
- Disorders of red blood cells: conditions such as thalassemia.
- Destruction of red blood cells over-
- May occur in some infections or taking a medication.
Common types of anaemia are:
- Anaemia due to iron deficiency.
The signs and symptoms of anemia :
- Feeling tired all the time
- Shortness of breath when doing physical activity
- Pale skin
- Rapid heart rate
- Poor memory
- Weight loss
If anaemia is excessive it will cause:
- Heart failure where the heart function becomes weak and inadequate.
- Contain such problems during childbirth pramatang and fetal growth during terencat inside the womb.
Examination of hemoglobin to determine whether you have anemia or can not be done at a clinic near you.
Treatment of anaemia depends on the type of anaemia encountered.
- If it is caused by medical problems such as Thalassemia, Leukaemia, specific treatment should be done.
- If it is caused by iron deficiency, then it must take a balanced diet containing a high iron and added iron pills