No parent wants to wake up one morning and not be able to recognize their child because he or she gained so much weight. Helping a child maintain fitness now can shape the way he or she views such concerns as an adult. Since physical health greatly affects the capacities of the mind, it is imperative that the children remain fit to help provide a brighter future. What can you do in order to promote a healthier lifestyle for your little ones?
1. More Activity – Too many children find solace in their game systems, smartphones and other technology. While the use of these diversions is OK in moderation, a lot of children simply don’t get enough physical activity because of these items. Make it a regular routine to encourage the children to play outside more. Don’t merely send them outside, but join them in games and activities in order to keep their attention focused. A child could merely sit on the porch and be bored without your guidance in an activity.
2. Healthier Eating – Fast food is too easily abused by the parent that doesn’t have time to prepare healthier meals. Unfortunately, this time saver is what’s causing a great deal of damage to your child’s physique. You must find the time to provide a more balanced meal complete with vitamins and minerals rather than sugars and fats. It is possible to make a quick and healthy meal. For instance, a grilled chicken salad topped with shredded cheese takes little time to make and is healthier than any food you’ll pick up at a drive through window.
3. Less Sugary Snacks – A cupcake once in a while can be a nice treat. However, regular snacking of sugar-loaded treats can hurt a child. Use healthier alternatives for after school snacking such as fruits, nuts, cheese or even vegetables if you can get your child to eat more from the garden. Some parents will dehydrate a variety of fruits in order to make sweet snack chips that have a prolonged shelf-life.
4. Encourage Sponsored Sports – There are a lot of cities and schools that have sport teams for children of all ages. Encourage your child to play in some of these activities to help burn off excess energy as well as getting more physical activity. Sports can do a great deal for a child’s development such as teaching sportsmanship and teamwork. Since there are a variety of sports year round, you can keep your child moving from spring to winter.
5. A Healthier You – Children gain many of their habits and mannerisms from the parent. If you have a dim view of healthier practices, it may be quite difficult to convince your child otherwise. You need to set an example and interact in the healthier activities with your child instead of dictating his or her actions. You may find that a healthier lifestyle is more important than you originally thought. Encourage your child’s health by being healthy yourself.
Your physical health directly affects the way your mind works. The healthier you are, the more improved your capacity to think and reason is. By helping your children develop healthy habits now, they could have an improved future for body and mind. Provide them with the tools to succeed in life by encouraging your child to be healthier.
Rachael Cherry is a wife, mother, and writer who is passionate about helping connect families in need with high quality caregivers. She has taken that passion and put it to work through NannyPro, a respected online nanny referral service. Learn more by visiting @NannyPro on Twitter.