Do you know about probiotics? Maybe not all of us know about it. Probiotics are live bacteria that naturally occur in certain foods from fermented vegetables to live cultured yogurt. They’re also added to some high-end dark chocolates and available as supplements. Probiotics are considered ‘good bacteria’ as it could improve our body system. These good bacteria occur naturally in our digestive systems and can also be found in a variety of foods and natural probiotic supplements.
Lately, probiotics have become pretty well-known as crucial bacteria and yeasts that thrive in, and benefit our digestive system. Unlike the bad bacteria that could trigger diseases, probiotics are the good guys; the beneficial bacteria are necessary to maintaining good health.
The word probiotic means ‘for life’ or ‘promoting life’ and it can help cure some ailments such as :-
1. Probiotics could lower your cholesterol. A study at AHA scientific meeting found that a strain of probiotics found in dairy and meats lowered LDL levels in participants by nearly 12 percent more than the group taking placebo. The overall cholesterol was lowered by 9 percent.
2. Studies have shown that probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri kills the bacteria that causes tooth decay and lessens the harmful effects of gingivitis. It will keep your teetch intact.
3. According to Harvard Medical School, probiotic consumption can help reduce diarrhea.A Journal of the American Medical Association found that those who took probiotics with antibiotics were 42 percent less likely to develop diarrhea than those who took the placebo.
4. A study from Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology found that probiotics consumption could lower the risk for developing eczema.
5. Probiotics also help balance the bacteria present in vagina and prevent the overgrowth of harmful microorganisms.
6. Researchers from the Cochrane Library found that probiotics seem to reduce upper respiratory infections when compared to a placebo. Other study from Helsinki, Finland found those who drank the probiotic enriched milk were 17 percent less likely to get a respiratory infection and 16 percent less likely to be absent due to illness.
7. Some research suggest that probiotics might relief colic in babies. Study published in Pediatrics found that breastfed babies whose mothers consumed a daily dose of probiotics cried 194 minutes less that the test group that didn’t.
8. The study revealed that women ate three 4-ounce servings of live culture yogurt a day experienced a shorter amount of time between eating and bowel movements.
9. Probiotics could give positive impact on your health.
Probiotics often found in Greek yogurts and can also be ingested in supplement form to help maintain balance in our gut. Probiotics can offer healthy benefits under the right circumstances and with the guidance of a qualified health professional. But in the wrong hands they may have negative effects.