Do you love to travel? It is a must for you to avoid illness while travelling especially that caused by unsafe food and drink. Read this tips health on safe food for travelers
WHILE CHOOSING THE FOOD PREMISE TO EAT
- Choose food premises with clean and hygienic condition.
- Avoid premises swarmed with flies and bugs.
- Safe food and drink ;
- Make sure your food has been thoroughly cooked and still hot when served.
- Avoid buying cooked food that have been uncovered at room temperature or exposed to flies or bug for prolonged periods
- Avoid ice in your drinks if unsure of the hygienic condition,
- Beverages such as coffee or tea and carbonated soft drinks which are either bottled or packaged are usually safe to drink.
- Drink lots of water during travelling to hydrate your body. Buy mineral water or carry own bottle filled with clean, boiled water.
- Wash hand properly before handling the food and after using the toilet.
WHILE SHOPPING FOR FOOD TO BE COOKED MAKE SURE
- Check the label and condition of the food especially the expiry date before purchasing.
- Avoid dented, damaged or blown canned food.
- Buy frozen food last and get it home fast.
- Cook food as soon as possible and discard leftover if there is no proper storage.
- Cook food thoroughly.
- Consume food as soon as possible and never leave food at room temperature for over 4 hours.
If you have any symptoms of food poisoning (nausea, diarrhea, vomiting or abdominal cramps and fever), please get the medical help from the nearby hospitals or clinics.
Source : Broucher from Food Safety and Quality Unit , Melaka State Health Department.
Okay, that’s all some tips on health tips on safe food for travelers. If you have any tips, let’s share with us.