Do you know about schizophrenia? It is mental illness and dangerous. It could disabling brain disease. The patient will have disorganized and abnormal thinking. The symptoms of schizophrenia is hearing internal voices not heard by others, or see hallucination , controlling their thoughts, or plotting to harm them. People who suffer schizophrenia also have disorganized speech, disorganized behavior, physically rigid or lax behavior (catatonia), significantly decreased behaviors or feelings, as well as delusions.
Schizophrenia affects men and women equally. It occurs at similar rates in all ethnic groups around the world. Symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions usually start between ages 16 and 30. Men tend to experience symptoms a little earlier than women. Most of the time, people do not get schizophrenia after age 45. Schizophrenia rarely occurs in children, but awareness of childhood-onset schizophrenia is increasing.Schizophrenia is a chronic condition, requiring lifelong treatment.
There are 5 type of schizophrenia :-
1. Paranoid schizophrenia
2. Disorganized schizophrenia
3. Catatonic schizophrenia:
4. Undifferentiated schizophrenia
5. Residual schizophrenia
Cause of Schizophrenia
1. Genetic. It could inherit from family. Scientists have long known that schizophrenia runs in families. The illness occurs in 1 percent of the general population, but it occurs in 10 percent of people who have a first-degree relative with the disorder, such as a parent, brother, or sister. People who have second-degree relatives (aunts, uncles, grandparents, or cousins) with the disease also develop schizophrenia more often than the general population.
2. Brain chemistry. Sometimes it could happen because of brain chemical called dopamine.
3. The brain is abnormal.
4. Complications during pregnancy and birth.
There is no cure for this illness but there are treatment to help schizophrenia people.
1. Antipsychotics – This is medicine that are recommend for first line treatment and could reduce negative symptoms
2. Antidepressants – This medicine could reduce symptoms of depression.
3. Psychothreapy – Cognitive theraphy, psychoeducation and family therapy could help schizophrenic people to improve their social life.
4. Omega-3 Fatty Acisd – The EPA could help to reduce positive and negative symptoms.
Noted :- Schizophrenia is not caused by personal weakness or by poor parenting. It is a myth to assume that if the person really wanted to help himself, he could.